Applied Skilled Trades Program (ASTP)
The Applied Skilled Trades Program (ASTP) Traineeship and Certificate Program is a two-year training and development program that provides employees with classroom and hands-on training in the following skilled trades:
- Mason and Plasterer
- Plumber and Steamfitter
- Refrigeration Mechanic
The ASTP was created to help agencies develop a more highly-skilled workforce and a larger pool of qualified candidates for future journey-level vacancies. The initiative has two areas of opportunity for participants: a traineeship and a certificate program.
The two-year traineeship includes both the required trade theory instruction and 4,000 hours of on-the-job training (OJT) necessary for employees to advance to one of the SG-12 non-competitive journey-level positions listed above. Agencies are required to provide participants with OJT during their traineeship.
The two-year certificate program provides the course work required for employees to advance to one of the journey-level positions listed above. Employees who finish the certificate program must still complete 4,000 hours of OJT in the specific trade in order to qualify for appointment to a journey-level position.
- ASTP Requirements for All Trades [pdf]
- Carpenter Program Requirements [pdf]
- Electrician Program Requirements [pdf]
- Mason and Plasterer Program Requirements [pdf]
- Plumber and Steamfitter Program Requirements [pdf]
- Refrigeration Mechanic Program Requirements [pdf]
- How to Use a Portfolio to Market Your Skills
- Partnership Catalogs, Applications, and Publications