Webinars allow you the opportunity to learn from the convenience of your office or home. In order to participate in a webinar, you will need access to a computer, phone, and Internet connection. Participants access a website to see the instructor's computer screen and participate in the training using a telephone. To attend a webinar, simply complete the one-page application form and secure your supervisor's approval and signature.
The Internet contains an enormous amount of information from both reliable and unreliable sources, and wading through this material can be overwhelming. This course provides strategies for employees doing work-related or personal web research to find helpful and accurate information quickly. Participants will:
- Review Internet search engines and search tools
- Identify effective search techniques for the Internet
- Apply criteria to evaluate information found on the Internet
- Understand how to cite Internet research
This webinar is open only to CSEA-represented New York State employees.
Interested in returning to school to work on a degree but are not sure how to pay for it? Interested in taking courses to become eligible for a Civil Service examination or to improve skills for your current job? This webinar provides information and advice about using the Partnership's Tuition Benefits Program to help pay for courses. Participants will:
- Determine their eligibility for tuition benefits
- Identify the different types of benefits available
- Learn how to apply for and use their benefits
- Determine the types of courses covered
- Determine benefit coverage limits
- Learn how to cancel a benefit, change courses and schools, and drop a course
College Credit: Alternative Ways to Save Money
July 11, 2013 - 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
This course covers non-traditional ways for employees to obtain college credit that could save them time and money. Participants will:
- Learn how to access distance learning and online courses
- Consider using credit-by-examination programs to obtain college credits
- Learn how to use external degree and other non-traditional college programs
This interactive webinar will help participants learn techniques for planning and organizing their writing. Participants will review common writing samples and discuss ways to improve them. The instructor will help identify ways to improve the samples to expedite the explanation of key topics and to facilitate participants' understanding. After the webinar, participants will submit their writing samples to the instructor for individual assistance and constructive feedback. Participants will:
- Identify methods for preparing to write
- Choose appropriate vocabulary based on such things as audience, purpose, etc.
- Write clear and concise sentences
- Use writing tools and resources
Note: The number of participants for this webinar will be limited so that the instructor can provide individual assistance and feedback as part of the post-webinar work.
This webinar helps employees learn strategies to be successful when taking college or other courses. Effective time management techniques, note-taking methods, and strategies for successful test taking will be discussed. Participants will:
- Learn to manage study time
- Identify effective note-taking techniques
- Create the support and structure needed to be successful
- Develop new test-taking strategies
This webinar helps employees improve their organizational skills and learn to manage work assignments and personal responsibilities to improve their work and life balance. Participants will have an opportunity to share practical tips they have used and will reflect on how being better organized impacts the overall quality of their lives. Participants will:
- Develop a plan for getting and staying organized at work and at home
- Learn how to organize time, tasks, and "stuff"
- Develop strategies for improving communication skills to obtain clarity around competing priorities
This webinar helps employees use personal credit wisely. Participants can learn what good credit is, how to access and read their personal credit report, learn what makes up a credit score, how to repair their credit and avoid credit repair scams, and access the top three credit reporting agencies. Participants will:
- Learn how to access and read a personal credit report
- Develop strategies for repairing credit
- Identify what is legitimate in credit repair services
- Learn about the Big Three credit reporting agencies
Are you a state employee in the classified service? Have you ever wanted to know more about your opportunities and career mobility options within the merit system? If so, this webinar is a great place to have this dialogue. This webinar will simplify basic terminology and will provide a common sense approach to understanding the rules and regulations that govern the merit system. Participants will:
- Gain knowledge on the different types of exams and the importance of taking exams
- Learn about the creation of eligible lists and their use in the selection process
- Become familiar with leaves of absence and probationary periods
- Learn about voluntary transfer and reinstatement eligibility